The Council Chamber at Lincolnshire County Council (Image from the LCC website)
Little Bytham and Castle Bytham both lie within the boundaries of South Kesteven District Council which in turn lies within the County of Lincolnshire. The county town, Lincoln, lies approximately 43 miles to the north and most of the functions of the Council are administered from there.
Lincolnshire borders Norfolk, Cambridgeshire, Rutland, Leicestershire, Nottinghamshire, South Yorkshire, the East Riding of Yorkshire, and (for just 19 metres or 20 yd, England’s shortest county boundary) Northamptonshire.
Lincolnshire is the second largest county in England, after North Yorkshire, with an area of 6959km and is predominantly an agricultural county.
CLICK HERE to go to the main website for Lincolnshire County Council. The website provides information about the services they provide, their structure and gives a local perspective on topical issues.
Specifically theBythams falls within the Stamford Rural and Colsterworth Rural Electoral Divisions of Lincolnshire County Council.
Stamford Rural Electoral Division
Stamford Rural Electoral Division covers Little Bytham, Careby and Witham on the Hill.
Stamford Rural Electoral Division is represented (correct at February 2011) by Thomas Martin Trollope-Bellew, a Conservative Councillor.
Contact details …
The Old Hall
Tel: +44 (0)1778 560037
Ansaphone: +44 (0)1778 560634
Colsterworth Rural Electoral Division
Colsterworth Rural Electoral Division covers Castle Bytham.
Colsterworth Rural Electoral Division is represented (correct at February 2011) by Edward Roy Chapman, a Conservative Councillor.
Contact details …
Tel: +44 (0)1476 566266
Fax: +44 (0)1476 573308
History of Lincolnshire
In the Doomsday Book the area now known as Lincolnshire was called the Kingdom of Lindsey which originated from the ancient Kingdom of Lindsey and the Danelaw Borough of Stamford. Later the term Lindsey became applied to the core around Lincoln with the area to the south being referred to as Kesteven in the south west and Holland in the south east.
In 1888, when county councils were set-up, Kesteven, Lindsay and Holland were each awarded county status. This remained until 1974 when the Local Government Act 1972 merged Holland, Kesteven and much of Lindsey into the current County of Lincolnshire.
The terms Kesteven, Lindsey and Holland remain today in some of the district names of Lincolnshire – South Holland, North Kesteven, South Kesteven (in which theBythams lies), East Lindsey and West Lindsey.
The Lincolnshire Flag
On 24 October 2005 an unofficial flag fro Lincolnshire was unveiled at office locations across the county. The design for the flag had been chosen as the result of a competition organised by BBC Radio Lincolnshire and Lincolnshire Life magazine.
The flag features a red cross with a gold fleur de lys in the centre on a blue and green quartered background. A gold border represents the crops grown in the county. The blue on the flag represents the sea and sky of Lincolnshire and the green symbolises the fields, while the fleur de lys represents the City of Lincoln.
The flag even has its own website at www.lincolnshireshop.co.uk where you can buy various items emblazoned with the design.
Updated : 13/02/11 : MG